Colorado is a state famous for the stunning natural landscapes of the Rocky Mountains.
The impressive unique beauty of snowy cliffs covered with coniferous forests and the mild climate of the state, surrounded and protected from winds by a belt of mountains, made Colorado a center of summer tourism in the United States.
Today we're going to tell you some surprising facts about this state you probably didn't know. Let's start!
Surprising facts about Colorado
- Colorado is located in an elevated area. Its lands lie 6,890 ft above sea level, and it is the most "high-altitude" state in America.
- The first charitable organization in the state capital, Denver, was a relief fund established in 1887. The foundation was called the Charity Organization Society.
- The largest silver nugget ever found in North America was discovered in 1894 near Aspen. The nugget weighed 1840 pounds, and to this day, it is the largest silver bullion in the world.
- There was a time when Colorado had three governors in one day. In 1905, it was Alva Adams. But after two months at his post, he was forced to resign, as he was found guilty of election fraud. So on March 17, 1905, Adams left the governorship, and the state legislature called for James H. Peabody as governor. He declined the offer, and on the same day, former Lieutenant-Governor Jesse MacDonald took over the governor's office.
- The Great Sand Dunes National Monument has been called one of nature's amazing wonders. These vast expanses of sand at the foot of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in south-central Colorado are constantly moving and taking unusual shapes. Sometimes the dunes are as high as 688 ft.
- The center of the state's business, financial and industrial activity, Colorado Springs is the state's most prominent tourist center and also a military center with several military bases, including the Air Force Academy. The largest city in western Colorado is Grand Junction.
Helpful tips for those who are planning a trip to Colorado
If you're planning a trip to Colorado, we have some helpful information for you.
You probably know that the fastest and the most convenient way to get to the airport is to use your own car if you have one. However, then you need to leave your vehicle somewhere and do it safely, not too far from the airport you're flying from. In most cases, airports have special on-site parking for that purpose. However, such a parking lot is pretty costly most of the time, and people aren't ready to spend a lot of money at the beginning of a trip. So is there any solution?
The best way to solve this problem is to choose off-site parking. Why, you may ask? We will explain.
There are many reasons which can prove the benefit of this parking type. Here are some of them:
- Affordable Rates. Depending on the duration of your trip, you can choose between short-term and long-term airport parking. Anyway, an off-site airport is much cheaper, so you can save your money and spend the most considerable amount on things you really want to see or try while traveling.
- Fast service. In contrast with on-site airport parking, which can take quite a long time, off-site parking offers you the convenience of driving directly to the entrance and having a staff member pull your luggage out of your vehicle and load it into the shuttle. Then they will park your car for you. After your baggage is loaded, you can take your seat in the shuttle, which will bring you and your bags to the airport. It is a hassle-free option that is usually faster.
- Convenience. When people travel, they may be stressed about making it to the airport on time. If you use off-site parking, you will definitely make your travel experience more convenient, as you use the service of a private company. Even though you may be able to park on-site at the airport in a short-term or long-term airport parking lot, consider using an off-site parking lot service.
We are glad to say that our booking platform, ParkingNearAirports.io, offers travelers online reservations for parking just outside airports that are convenient and affordable. Our experienced team is dedicated to providing travelers parking options at over 100 airports in the U.S. and Canada. The app allows customers to search and compare parking rates at up to 70 percent savings compared to the cost of on-site parking at all major airports.
Now let's take an example. Colorado is located almost in the center of the United States. So if you're flying from NYC, you can use cheap LGA parking. If you're coming from Las Vegas, you can choose affordable McCarran airport parking. It just depends on the place you're flying from.
You can always find everything you need on our official website: the best deals for parking near U.S. and Canadian airports, airport parking rates, and much more.